Oftentimes, people are not sure when they should call plumbers for help. Most of the time, they do not see the issue or wait for it to develop into a larger problem.
An intense cold increases the chance that your pipes will freeze or become damaged. Inside the conduit melting water transforms into ice which can, extend and obstruct the line causing the development of serious issues.
Regardless of whether the pipe is made of plastic, copper, or steel, this blockage will produce increased pressure in the system and cause pipe collapses in vulnerable areas. We recommend that you hire a plumbing repair company as soon as you notice even the smallest abnormality or change in the water pressure.
Consequences of Frozen Pipes
Over the course of a day, even a small leak could release more than 250 gallons of water. This can dramatically increase your water bill, cause damage to your landscaping, and worsen should ice find its way into the crack. The consequences of frozen water pipes can cause damage to property and lead to high repair costs.
To help minimize the chance of frozen pipes, avoid disruption, and costly repairs, follow these tips from Sebastopol plumbers Just-in Time Plumbing & Heating.
What to Do If You Have Frozen Pipes
Here are some tips to help you resolve any issues caused by frozen pipes:
- To relieve pressure on frozen pipes and minimize flooding should the pipes break, cut off the main source of water leading into the structure.
- To thaw the ice blockage, use a hairdryer if the frozen pipe is uncovered and clear. If there are no frozen pipes visible, contact a plumber immediately.
- If you experience sluggish water flow and suspect frozen pipes, call a plumber immediately.
How Can I Prevent Frozen Pipes?
Here are some handy tips to help prevent frozen pipes from becoming an issue in the first place:
- Allow heat from the room to flow around uninsulated pipes, open cabinet doors and storage areas to expose your pipes to more natural heating
- Make sure that your pipes are insulated if they aren’t in a heated area of your home such as in crawl spaces and garages.
- Apply heat cables or heat tape around pipes that are uncovered
- Turn on the heat and ensure not to set the temperature lower than 55 degrees to help prevent frozen pipes.
If you suspect that you may have frozen pipes, get in touch with a professional plumber in Sebastopol ASAP. At Just-in Time Plumbing & Heating, we pride ourselves on prompt customer service and stellar satisfaction. Call us at (707) 571-1336 for more information.